News Update


Valdo Calocane has been charged with three charges of murder in connection with the Nottingham attacks.

In Nottingham, a man has been charged with the killings of Barnaby Webber, Grace O’Malley-Kumar, and Ian Coates.

Mr Webber and Ms O’Malley-Kumar, both 19, and school caretaker Mr Coates, 65, were stabbed in the early hours of Tuesday.

Valdo Calocane has also been charged with attempted murder when a van hit three persons, one of whom was badly injured.

On Saturday, the 31-year-old will appear in front of municipal judges.

Mr Webber and Ms O’Malley-Kumar, both University of Nottingham students, were tragically stabbed in Ilkeston Road shortly after 04:00 BST on Tuesday, while Mr Coates was found dead with knife injuries in Magdala Road after his van was allegedly stolen.

Mr Calocane, of no permanent address, is accused of driving at pedestrians with his van.

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust said that two patients had been stabilized and one had been discharged.

“These charges are a significant development and arise as a result of our thorough investigation into these horrific incidents that occurred in our city,” said Nottinghamshire Police Chief Constable Kate Meynell.

“We are acutely aware of the intense emotion surrounding these tragic events, as well as the widespread interest, not only in Nottingham and Nottinghamshire, but throughout the country.”

“However, posting prejudicial information online about an active case could amount to contempt of court and, in the most serious cases, have the potential to cause the collapse of a trial.”

Mr Calocane was a former University of Nottingham student, according to police, but “this is not believed to be connected with the attack.”


Mr. Webber, a first-year history student from Taunton, Somerset, was described as “fun, friendly, and full of life in his seminars.”

Ms O’Malley-Kumar, from north-east London, was in her first year of medical school while also playing varsity hockey. Her relatives described her as “a cherished daughter and sister.”

Mr Coates was four months away from retiring from the Huntingdon Academy in Nottingham.

His sons, Lee and James, described him as an avid fisherman and “die-hard” Nottingham Forest supporter.

Their deaths sparked an outpouring of mourning throughout the city and beyond.

Thousands of people attended heartbreaking vigils, first at the university on Wednesday and then in the city center’s Old Market Square on Thursday, when victims’ relatives addressed the masses and paid respect to their loved ones.


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *