News Update


Blackburn’s comeback denied Millwall a place in the play-offs.

Millwall were knocked out of the Championship play-off places after a sensational second-half comeback by Blackburn Rovers, who came back from two goals behind to win 4-3 on the last day.

After Adam Wharton leveled for Rovers midway through the first half, the Lions led 3-1 at the break thanks to two goals from Duncan Watmore and one from Oliver Burke.

Soon after the restart, Joe Rankin-Costello pounced on a loose ball in the box to equalize for Blackburn, and Ben Brereton Diaz made it 3-3 with a curling goal from 20 yards out in the 63rd minute.

This triggered a frantic finish as Millwall sought a winner to keep their place in the top six, but Blackburn had the better chances.

With only four minutes remaining, Brereton Diaz tapped in to complete a counter-attack and finish a spectacular turnaround.

Millwall began the day in sixth place but plummeted to eighth as Sunderland climbed above them with a 3-0 win at Preston, and Blackburn finished seventh on goal difference.

Relive the Championship season’s final day Millwall’s win at Blackpool on 28 April meant Gary Rowett’s side knew that a final-day victory would be enough to secure a play-off berth, while Rovers – who had slipped to ninth after an eight-match winless run – needed to take all three points and hope for other results to go their way to finish sixth.

In front of a noisy crowd, the hosts made a strong start and took the lead in the eighth minute when a long throw from Zian Flemming found its way through to Watmore, who slammed in his effort off the crossbar.

Three minutes later, Tom Bradshaw believed he had made it 2-0 after tapping in after a Flemming free-kick rebounded against the left-hand upright, but an offside flag denied the Welsh striker his 18th league goal of the season.

Wharton equalized for Blackburn with a curling left-footed drive from 25 yards out, but Millwall appeared to be in complete control at halftime after capitalizing on defensive errors to score twice in three minutes.

After a mix-up between Harry Pickering and goalkeeper Aynsley Pears, Watmore converted from a narrow angle, then Burke scooped up an inaccurate ball and moved forward to fire low into the bottom left-hand corner.


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *